International Treaty Remedy

hague-conventionThis international treaty creates a remedy for victims of child abduction, who violate an existing custody order in any jurisdiction throughout the world. This treaty comes into play when parents live abroad, and one of the parties decides to return to the United States with a child as a U.S. citizen, or when a foreign national seeks a determination of custody by a US Court.

Withdrawing a Child to Another Country

Under this treaty, courts frown upon unilateral withdrawals of children from one country to another without court permission. Under the convention, there is a defense to abduction when there is a grave risk that return will expose the child to physical or psychological harm.

Get expert assistance, please contact me for a Free 30-minute confidential case review at: (801) 535-4385